Booting Problem

scouser 17:13 28 Jun 2003

I have two operating systems on a diveded hard drive. One OS is Windows ME and the other Windows XPHome Edition. After loading some DVD ripping software I was informed that the XP files had been altered and I had to re load from the installation disk. That was OK. However on the ME Section I began to get the following message: 'Cmdninst caused an error in unknown' and will close. To begin with I was able to boot after clicking out the window. However yesterday when trying to boot the message would only disappear after the second attempt and then I just got a blue screen and the computer would not boot up.I cannot get into 'Safe-Mode' as, after much trying, I got a message saying: 'The following file is missing or corrupted, D:\Windows\DBLBUFF.Sys' I cannot use the ME disk as I cannot get into Safe Mode, the only option that appears is 1 Normal Mode If I boot into this the same thing happens, the window for the 'Cmdninst' appears and it will not go any further. I can manage to get into the XP section but that will not help with the ME section. What can be done to correct the situation? I did remove the faullty software before this.

goonerbill 23:36 28 Jun 2003

bump

jazzypop 01:30 29 Jun 2003

click here for info on cmdninst - unfortunately, the fixes suggest booting into Safe Mode to fix them :(

I have a bit of a mental block about this at the moment, but doesn't the ME boot floppy allow you to boot to Safe Mode? Worth a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017