booting problem

KanedAndUnable 13:03 31 Jan 2011

hi,

i had ubuntu installed on a partition of my samsung n130 netbook but decided to delete the partition as it was never used. i just then used it as another windows partition.

when i restarted my netbook it now will not boot and keeps coming up with the message:

'error: no such partition
grub rescue>'

i've even tried changing the boot sequence in the bios to boot from a usb which i've loaded windows xp onto but it still takes me to the above screen.

can anyone help please?

gengiscant 13:05 31 Jan 2011

This should help I think.click here

GaT7 13:06 31 Jan 2011

If you can boot off the Windows USB drive, are you at least getting to the Windows Recovery Console? G

GaT7 13:07 31 Jan 2011

If you can, then follow 'How to restore the Windows XP bootloader' in gengiscant's link. G

KanedAndUnable 13:27 31 Jan 2011

it won't even boot from the USB despite being the primary boot source in the BIOS.

checked the link out and one of the first things it says is 'All three parts of this tutorial require that you boot from a cd. If you don't know how to do this, check here.'

having a netbook with no cd drive could pose a problem so it's got to be a USB based solution!

GaT7 13:33 31 Jan 2011

Try creating a Ubuntu-based bootable USB drive click here, then booting from that & running the commands in the link. G

KanedAndUnable 17:55 31 Jan 2011

it will now let me boot ubuntu but the only thing i see to be able to do is to install it again.

not quite sure what i'm doing but i just want ubuntu gone and to use the whole of the disk for xp again.

if i need to wipe the entire drive to reinstall windows again then that's fine - there wasn't anything on it anyway.

thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:47 31 Jan 2011
  KanedAndUnable 20:20 31 Jan 2011

i just can't get windows to boot from a USB.

after trying to resolve it, i'm not getting a message after turning the pc on of:

'no default or UI configuration directive found
boot:'

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:34 31 Jan 2011

"it will now let me boot ubuntu"

Open a terminal in ubuntu and run

Code:

sudo apt-get install lilo

(Ignore the message you will get. Just hit enter).

Then

Code:

sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr

Here /dev/sda has to be the device name of your internal hard drive. It is almost certainly /dev/sda, but you should double check with "sudo fdisk -lu"

KanedAndUnable 20:53 31 Jan 2011

as above, the furthest i can get is the 'no default or UI configuration directive found
boot:' message.

i don't understand why windows won't boot or even get to the recovery console from the USB attached

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017