booting problem

Petesilver 12:02 02 Jul 2010

recently when I boot up my pc it has started t6o make a few clicking noises and boots as far as the windows logo then goes back to the beginning and keeps repeating this, so I have to switch off and then I might get logged on.
this does not happen all the time but seems to be getting more frequent, once I am on every thing works fine.
Windows XP Home

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:09 02 Jul 2010

"make a few clicking noises"

Sounds as if your hard drive is failing - back up all your important data before it fails completely.

if your operating system is pre-installed make a clone / image of the drive click here while you can so that you can transfer everything to a new hard drive.

Petesilver 21:02 02 Jul 2010

Hello Fruit Bat
Thank you very much for your reply this is just for confirmation I have logged on several times today and the same things are happening I get some rapid clicking sounds then it starts to log on gets as far as the first windows splash screen then goes back to the beginning with the noises again but on the third attempt of turning off the power and rebooting it seems to log on...just advise me again you think the HDD is failing...cos as this PC is getting old think I might invest in a new one.
I won't hold you to it just so I feel better about if it is the most likely reason it could be the time to update :-))
Regards
Petesilver

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:14 02 Jul 2010

click here scroll down and play the files at the bottom of the page they are noises a failing drive makes.

Petesilver 21:28 02 Jul 2010

I looked on the site but cannot find the WAV files of the noises ??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:32 02 Jul 2010

Try this site
click here

Petesilver 22:26 02 Jul 2010

HI
Thanks for your help think you are right listening to the maxtor sounds which my HDD is.
I think I will just soldier on and see what happens
Most of my important files are on an external HDD so if this fails its not the end of he world and a good excuse to but a new PC :-)
But I do appreciate your help so thank you very much.

woodchip 22:56 02 Jul 2010

Run Disc Checker on the Drive, it sounds like some corruption in files

Petesilver 20:42 03 Jul 2010

hello woodchip
I did run it but did not come up with any thing
The problem is getting worse as it has taken me at least ten attempts to get booted up
as I said it just keeps making clicking noises and nothing sometimes it will start to boot then go back to the beginning and if I am lucky it might boot

woodchip 21:16 03 Jul 2010

you need a new drive

Petesilver 21:37 03 Jul 2010

Thank you but I think its time for a new PC
yippee now I can convince the wife I need a new one LOL

seriously thanks to all helpers on here I think its brilliant............

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?