Booting Problem

smjy2k 21:16 16 Sep 2008

Hi, I'm hoping that a really intelligent person can help me!

I currently use XP and everythings been fine up until a couple of days ago: my PC boots up to the normal desktop screen but the icons down the bottom won't load and it just seems to stop dead. After turning it off and on again a few times and retrying it now just goes to the "select account" screen and won't let me select anyone.

I've managed to get it into safe mode and backed up all my stuff. any idea what to do from here???? Please!!

P.S. My specs are: XP Home Version 2002, Service Pack 3, 2140 Intel 1.6Ghz 1.87gb RAM. Hard Drive: MAXTORSTM3250820AS if this helps.

csqwared 21:35 16 Sep 2008

Might seem a silly question but have you tried a System Restore to a time prior to your problem?

woodchip 21:36 16 Sep 2008

In Safe Mode run System Restore to before the Problem.

Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore to a Old date in BOLD letter, to before the problem

smjy2k 21:38 16 Sep 2008

Hi, tried System Restore and it told me I can't do it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:55 16 Sep 2008

In safe mode

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

csqwared 21:57 16 Sep 2008

If you have a retail version of XP (and not OEM or a recovery image) you could try a Repair installation

click here

woodchip 22:01 16 Sep 2008

Try running it in Safe Mode

lodger 22:13 16 Sep 2008

problems with windows, I now have super fast free free RELIABLE PCLinuxOS as a backup system, so even if windows stops working, i dont have to........and i can take the time to find the answer to the endless windows ailments.........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017