BOOTING UP MESSAGE - "NO OPERATING SYSTEM"

MOMBASA 04:24 16 Oct 2003

I was trying to reformat my hard disk and thought that I was doing everything correctly but now when I try to boot up the message is "no operating system". What can I do?

It is a Windows 95 HP Omnibus laptop

Grateful for any help

Formatting the disk involves deleting everything on it so you will have to reinstal the operating system and the backups you made of all your Data.

MOMBASA 04:29 17 Oct 2003

How do I get the laptop to recognise either the floppy or CD rom drive? At the moment after the error message "no operating system" I cannot do anything as the cursor just keeps blinking

JIM 06:49 17 Oct 2003

Have you altered the CMOS Setup at all before the format?

Missing Operating System
your error occurs when the boot record signature of the master boot record does not match a certain value at a certain location. In this case, the boot sector is invalid and the computer cannot boot. This error can also occur if there is no active partition defined in the partition table.

Also message can happen when a non-bootable disk is left in drive A during startup. If you receive this error, make sure that there is no disk in drive A and restart your computer.

Also,via link

click here

MOMBASA 07:30 17 Oct 2003

I think that it has to do with the fact that I did not get a chance to re-partion the hard disk and now do not know what to do as I cannot get into the system.

When booting up the system it does not read the floppy drive otherwise I would have put in a boot disk

Jester2K II 08:07 17 Oct 2003

Can you get into the BIOS? You need to change the Boot Order to boot from the floppy first. Then it'll read the floppy and boot from that.

^wave^ 09:24 17 Oct 2003

either you need a a floppy that will boot or as said above change the boot order in the bios

graham√ 09:32 17 Oct 2003

To go to setup, tap F1 or F2 when you switch on.

mark500 10:43 17 Oct 2003

This also happens if you have two devices on the same IDE cable set as master.

MOMBASA 11:49 17 Oct 2003

I cannot get into the system to change the bios and the disk is unpartitioned.

Jester2K II 14:49 17 Oct 2003

Why?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?