Booting Issues

RobCharles1981 15:59 26 Jun 2010

I've Been Asked To Take A Look At A Computer For Somebody And For What Ever Reason I can't get it to go.

System Specs

Pentium 4
1 Gig Of Ram
AsRock P415G Motherboard
DVD-RW IDE
CaseCom 300watt PSU
80Gig Hard Drive

The Client Told Me That an error message is displayed When I looked at this it has the Boot Options menu.

So I Boot Normally whats happening its Rebooting In A Loop When you get to the Windows XP Splash Screen Reboot And So On.

My First Thought was to see if I can re-install Windows and I got an XP OEM Lying about so I used that as there is a Key Sticker On The Case.

I Made sure the 1st Boot Device Was the CD When It attempts to load from the Disk I get this Error:

"Reboot And Select Proper Boot Device Or Insert Boot Media In Selected Boot Device And Press A Key"

Any Ideas Please?

Thanks

Rob

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:05 26 Jun 2010

Try pressing F8 during booting and select "Last Known good.."

If that doesn't work try safemode and run
sfc /scannow
in safemode.
Also run chkdsk
your error message is often reported when a hard drive is failing.

northumbria61 16:07 26 Jun 2010

You will need the XP Boot Floppy setup from Microsoft to proceed with Clean Install - you can't boot from Windows XP CD.

click here

obtainable from Microsoft -

click here

RobCharles1981 16:08 26 Jun 2010

Hi Thanks FB

The Same Scenario Happens when I try to go enter into safe mode, It just goes into a rebooting loop.

RobCharles1981 16:10 26 Jun 2010

northumbria61

No Floppy Drive On Board Sorry!

northumbria61 16:12 26 Jun 2010

You are obviously using another computer - if you have a floppy drive you can create them from there -or find someone who has a floopy drive to access.

northumbria61 16:15 26 Jun 2010

There are six Windows XP Setup boot floppy disks. You must have the files and the drivers that these disks contain to access the CD drive and to start the Setup process.

RobCharles1981 16:17 26 Jun 2010

I don't have a floppy Drive!

northumbria61 16:34 26 Jun 2010

Well unless you can get access to a floppy drive you can't make the "floppies" which are needed for the initial setup of XP prior to running the XP CD.

northumbria61 16:37 26 Jun 2010

Failing that - take your pick from here -

click here

gengiscant 16:41 26 Jun 2010

Of course you can boot with an XP cd.
click here
It is possible that your keyboard is not being seen ,hence you can not press any key when asked if you want to boot from cd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache