Booting GRLDR

Howard's Way 20:40 02 May 2009

I have Windows XP SP3. I have been infected with WINPC Defender. I went on line and checked out some sites they recomended Spy Blaster I installed this and the computer re-booted and now it gives and error message Booting GRLDR turning on gate A20 ..... Success and a black screen.

Anyone got any ideas?

Howard's Way 21:00 02 May 2009

I have Windows XP SP3. I have been infected with WINPC Defender. I went on line and checked out some sites they recomended Spy Blaster I installed this and the computer re-booted and now it gives and error message Booting GRLDR turning on gate A20 ..... Success and a black screen. XP Will not load

bluto1 21:45 02 May 2009

Looks like 2 posts on the same subject. Close one of them and stick to the other

Sea Urchin 22:28 02 May 2009

Firstly I think that Spy Blaster is a rogue program (not to be confused with Spyware Blaster). The error message you are now getting is normally caused by having a pirated copy of the OS.

This is how you should have tried to remove WinPC Defender, but it may be too late

click here

If you can get into safe mode (by tapping F8 on booting) you could try to run that solution.

lotvic 00:08 03 May 2009

GRUB4DOS is an universal boot loader - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRUB4DOS click here functions are built into a single file grldr

(and I don't know anything else about it)

Howard's Way 09:15 03 May 2009

I tried to install Malwarebytes to get rid of the WINPC Defender. Changing it's name and running it from Desktop. But it would not load. It gave a windows error message. So then downloaded another one recommended for the removal of PCDefender Spyware Blaster (not Spy Blaster), that loaded and on reboot, I then got the Booting GRLDR turning on gate A20. I then could not even get as far as F8 for a Safe Mode start.

A bit of a panic now. Searched the net on another computer and found the F12 re-build windows suggestion. This I did and all is back now, except a few bits to put back on now, certain drivers etc.

What a relief to get it all back. I was now able to run Malwarebytes to get rid of PC Defender.

The annoying thing is my Force Field said the program was malious and by mistake I click the proceed instead of cancel button. Humans eh.

Thanks for all your help Howards_way

Sea Urchin 11:03 03 May 2009

Glad to hear all is now sorted. SpywareBlaster by the way is not designed to remove malicious infections - it is a shield which protects your PC from incoming spyware. But it's an excellent program to have on board.

Sea Urchin 13:55 03 May 2009

Maybe tick box and click Resolved

Howard's Way 11:23 04 May 2009

After the XP re-build had loads of problems, e.g. not being able to update windows XP via Microsoft. Had to sort them one by one. Hours and Hours

Looking at the problem now in hindsight, I should have rebooted into Safe Mode straight away and used the Anti Spyware, Anti Virus software I already have. WINPC defender had disabled them in Normal mode. Plus it was stopping using Malwarebytes etc.

I did find a new Antispyware called SuperAntispyware which seems quite good.

I will close this now and tick resolved.

Sea Urchin 11:31 04 May 2009

Yes, SuperAntiSpyware is highly recommended on this forum and elsewhere

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?