booting for cd problem

Desperate-Dan 10:19 28 May 2009

hi, I have a dell Demension 2400 winxp, I want to do a clean install of xp, I have the reinstallation cd, this is what I did, I inserted reinstallation cd,shut down my pc restarted the computer,

pressed F12 immediately after the dell logo, pressed the arrow key to select cd-rom and pressed enter, but instead of getting press any key to boot from cd

to get to windows setup, instead I got strife F1 to retry boot or F2 for setup utility, I tried F1 nothing happened, so I pressed F2 and set it to boot from cd-rom first, saved and exit, I've tried restarting but the same thing happens as above, can you please help

PO79 11:44 28 May 2009

First thoughts are the CD may not be bootable, can you try it in another PC.

Secondly, have you tried entering the BIOS and setting the first Boot Device to CD ROM, not forgetting to press F10 to save the settings, and then try to boot from the CD again without pressing any "F" buttons.

lotvic 11:51 28 May 2009

Is there a reason you are not using the Ctrl + F11 at the Dell logo on boot up? (to restore back to factory settings as in when you first got the computer) this only takes about 10 mins max and you're up and running and don't need to install any additional drivers.

Desperate-Dan 12:02 28 May 2009

I'm selling the computer, so I want do a clean install,

Desperate-Dan 13:04 28 May 2009

I'm happy to say I got it sorted, as I said I followed the instruction from the dell manual but it wouldn't work so instead of selecting cd-rom I selected normal from the options and it worked, up came press any key to boot from cd, so I did, I'm now formatting the hdd. thanks for trying to help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?