booting 98

fullywired23 20:11 11 Mar 2007

Just got an e-mail from my friend with a problem with win98.the ccomputer would'nt boot it got so far then said press any key to boot in safe mode.So he formatted the drive and reinstalled win98 (french edition, he lives in france)but it still will only boot is safe mode .has anyone any ideas ??? all help would be greatly appreciated

viejo

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:06 11 Mar 2007

sounds like a corrupt driver.

try updating drivers starting with graphics driver.

woodchip 21:11 11 Mar 2007

He needs to check what is loaded in the

Autoexec.bat file

Should be mimimal

This is mine from Win98se

@C:\PROGRA~1\INDEFE~1\ACHILL~1\AVCHECK.EXE /sC /tC
Rem @LH C:\PROGRA~1\INDEFE~1\ACHILL~1\AVBLOCK.COM
mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ULEADS~1\MPEG;C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ULEADS~1\DVD

Terry Brown 21:14 11 Mar 2007

Unfortunately by formatting the drive, he/she has lost all updates and drivers that were on the system, and may now be very hard to obtain.

I suggest downloading a program called 'Belarc', which will give details of the motherboard, graphics card etc. Print out report for reference

Go to click here and search for the drivers for the hardware (as found by Belarc), and download these.

I do not know where you will get the Microsoft updates as the system is now out of date.
Terry

woodchip 21:16 11 Mar 2007

It should still boot to windows, Even with basic drivers

fullywired23 14:53 12 Mar 2007

thanks to all that responded to my request,my friend has contacted me again saying that he has formatted yet again and reinstalled 98 and this time all is well it booted to windows and he has shut down and restarted a few times without any problems.So what ever the problem was it has cleared .So thanks again for your help

regards Viejo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?