Booting up

Anson 09:09 10 Aug 2003

I am bothered by a boot up problem that is not causing me any problems at the moment. One of the first windows I see when I boot up is the Main Processor window which shows all the details of the processor etc. At the bottom of this window a line appears saying ? Searching for Boot Record from CD-Rom?. After a few seconds another line appears saying ?Searching for Boot Record from Floppy?. This window closes and at the top of the next window appears ?Invalid BOOT.INI file ? Booting from C:\Windows. It does as it says and I start working, This to me seems the wrong way to start the system. Can anyone tell me how to create a Boot. ini file, and what benefits I would see from it, if any.

graham√ 09:19 10 Aug 2003

And your operating system is? It would appear that a bios setting has instructed the PC to boot first from the CD, second from Floppy, third from C. C should be the first unless you are doing a reformat.

If you are happy to do it, restart the comp and enter the bios setup. You should find the settings you need to change, depending on your OS.

Anson 09:30 10 Aug 2003

Sorry about not including the OS. It is Windows XP Home Edition.

graham√ 13:57 10 Aug 2003

To enter bios, press and hold F1 when you boot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone