Bootable USB Thumbdrives

bremner 15:06 17 Feb 2006

This may be one for the PCA magazine bods.

On page 112 on the latest mag it explains how to make a bootable USB thumb drive. I followed the advice and now have such a drive.

On page 111 it says having made such a device "load it with apps that repair system errors and pin down hardware problems. Many are on the cover disk". I have loaded these onto the thumbdrive but once the machine is booted from the thumbdrive and I try to run the Apps I get the messages "Can not run in DOS" or "Needs 32 bit to run".

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong please.

Haol 15:12 17 Feb 2006

I can't tell you what you're doing wrong but I think it would be better if you got a Linux Live CD like SLAX click here and use MySLAX Creator click here to create a bootable CD.

bremner 15:56 17 Feb 2006

Thanks but I already have a number of bootable Linux disks I was hoping to create a USB rescue drive as well.

medicine hat 16:19 17 Feb 2006

Which apps have you tried?

britto 16:25 17 Feb 2006

on page 111 it tells you that"these apps will not run directly from the thumb drive so save the installer files for quick installation on a PC"

bremner 19:20 17 Feb 2006

You are looking at the "Create a cleaning kit etc" section, I am refering to the "Revive your crashed computer" section.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?