Bootable usb sticks

Jollyjohn 10:17 08 Nov 2009

Hi

Does anyone know which ones can be made bootable?

I have an Easydisk -128mb - that can be made bootable but it's a bit small.
I also have a Verbatim 4gb - but I cant seem to make it bootable.

Before I buy a new usb stick I thought I would ask if anyone knows which one to get?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:32 08 Nov 2009

They can all be made bootable

1. The PC has to support booting from a USB flash drive. There may be anywhere from 1-3 items to change in the BIOS to make this possible assuming your BIOS supports it. Some bios's may refer to your flash drive as a USB floppy or USB zip. Of course there are exceptions, perhaps some are covered here.
2. The flash drive must contain the boot/system files.
3. The flash drive must have bootsector area. This is done with special utilities.
4. References to "A:" drive lines in the autoexec.bat and/or config.sys files you copy to the drive after you make it bootable may result in errors.

Peter 11:31 08 Nov 2009

I came across this problem with my Advent 4211 Netbook. I was able to make a bootable Acronis Disk Image USB Drive with a 128 Meg drive, but found that I could not do so with a 512 Meg drive that I wanted to use as a bootable drive for Acronis Disk Director Suite. I overcame the problem by partitioning the 512 Meg drive so that only 100 Meg showed.

You may be able to partition your 4GB drive to make a bootable 100 Meg (approx) drive and another partition with the rest of the drive capacity, but I don't know if this will work as I haven't tried it.

Peter.

Jollyjohn 12:14 08 Nov 2009

Thanks for the quick replies - I will experiment over the next couple of days and report back.

Jollyjohn 17:20 08 Nov 2009

OK after a couple of hours of experimentation I can get the 128mb stick bootable no problem using hp usb formatter.
I succesfully created a BartPE iso on the Verbatim stick - not recognised by computer on reboot.
I then createda 128mb partition on the Verbatim stick - used hp usb formatter - no joy - stick still not recognised - will try and catch the actual message on the post screen.

So back to my original question - whats the best usb stick to get to make bootable?

rdave13 17:28 08 Nov 2009

It may be your PC doesn't support booting from USB.

Jollyjohn 17:34 08 Nov 2009

Yes my pc supports booting from usb as I can boot from the 128mb stick - to a W98 DOS prompt.

swap to the Verbatim stick -128mb partition - same format as other stick - reboot - no joy ignores the usb device and continues to boot from hdd.

rdave13 17:53 08 Nov 2009

Some clues here? click here
Google shows nearly the same for Vista and W7 in NTFS format.

Jollyjohn 11:11 09 Nov 2009

Hi

Thanks for the replies.
Reading the article it appears it can be a bit random as to which sticks will boot.

I will mark this as resolved and start playing with DSL for the 128mb stick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?