Bootable disc for XP pro(Help)

hiwatt 18:48 10 Aug 2009

Hi folks
Seeing a similar thread inspired this.I have windows XP pro installed on my main computer,it didn't come with any discs.I do however have an original XP home disc.Is there any way I could make a bootable disc for my XP pro machine that would allow me to do a repair install of XP if I ever needed to do so.

john bunyan 19:09 10 Aug 2009

An alternative in the meantime would be to use Acronis True Image to create a clone of your disc on an external HD. Then if your c: drive goes belly up you can use the Acronis CD to boot to the clone and restore the c: drive. Some prefer an image, which should also work.

hiwatt 19:19 10 Aug 2009

I was actually gonna say,please don't suggest acronis.I'm afraid I don't have an external hard drive at the moment.I keep procrastinating getting one.Thanks.

MAT ALAN 19:30 10 Aug 2009

A) your suggestion will not work (repair Pro with Home)and B) to avoid any sort of backup facility is foolhardy indeed.
If you have files that are Irreplaceable you really need some sort of failsafe in place...

GaT7 19:34 10 Aug 2009

I don't think this is possible.

However, if you can borrow an XP Pro disk for a short while* - an OEM one, as your laptop most probably has this type of license - you could create a customised 'slipstreamed' disk solely meant for your laptop using a tool like nLite click here. Then burn the image created with ImgBurn click here, or your own favourite burning software. G

* Copy contents, as is, to a folder called 'XPPro Original' on your hard drive - this should take no more than 5-10 min. When using nLite work on a COPY of this folder. If it doesn't come out right, you'll always have the original to play with

skidzy 19:35 10 Aug 2009

If you borrow a xp pro disc for now click here

Have you checked to see if the computer has a recovery/restore partition ?

Have you checked to see if a recovery disc creator program is in all programs ?

Hiwatt,did you originally upgrade or install xp pro ?

Or was this pc bought with the os preinstalled from someone like PCW / Currys etc ?

Strawballs 22:16 10 Aug 2009

If you have an optical burner you can use Acronis to make a backup of just windows.

hiwatt 10:46 11 Aug 2009

Thanks for the replys folks.
Skidzy,there isn't any recovery/restore partion nor was there the option to create a disc.I bought this computer new in 2005 from a local PC store and windows xp was preinstalled.My computer crashed a while back and after exploring all avenues I had to pay a store to do a repair install for me.I really am going to get an external soon but would like to have the option to repair "just in case"Strawballs your suggestion sounds good.How would I back up only windows xp?
Crossbow7 everyone I know seems to have a windows home edition disc or no disc at all.Thanks.

GaT7 14:48 11 Aug 2009

Where did you buy the PC from please? I'm sure the original manufacturer will agree to send you a recovery CD (at the very least) for the price of the media & postage.

Make a polite request, & pester them (again politely) a few times if you have to.

Does the PC have a genuine Microsoft XP Pro COA sticker, with official product key? And does the product key match the one that's installed on your PC?

I'd never agree to buy a PC from anywhere/anyone, if they didn't include a recovery disk at the very least. G

Strawballs 20:14 11 Aug 2009

If you get a copy of acronis oneof the options is to make a backup of just windows and one of the things that you can backup to is CD/DVD burner.

hiwatt 10:27 12 Aug 2009

This pc was bought for me as a gift from a local pc store which has now closed down.It was brand new.There isn't a sticker on the tower either.It is a genuine version of windows though as I have ran the WGA tool just to make sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?