Boot to welcome screen

Scubaman 22:19 13 Jul 2011

Hi guys, I posted a problem regarding slow start-up recently and did as suggested and ran cc cleaner and reduced the start-up programs to McAfee. I tried starting on three occasions with no problems. Well.... I rebooted after a shut down period of 3 hours and the log-on password screen appeared and when I entered the password and pressed return the welcome screen came on and stayed there with the little circle rotating... for 2.5 hours... I then pressed ctrl+alt+del and then clicked on cancel and it immediately boots. I have tried this three times with the same results. The laptop, a Dell Inspiron 6400, is running Vista home premium. Any ideas?

northumbria61 23:29 13 Jul 2011

Download and Run Ultra Defragmenter from here link text It's FREE.

Scubaman 14:39 14 Jul 2011

I ran the Ultra Defrag and also the Uniblue registry booster, which fixed 259 faults!! First try booted in just over a minute, second try booted in under a minute, went straight to desktop, no password, and third time I had to Ctrl Alt Del after 20 minutes. Is this a Vista thing, never had probs like this with any other windows OS.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:45 14 Jul 2011

A lot of registry boosters / cleaners can cause more trouble that they cure.

Try a repair of VISTA:

In the Search box type

sfc /scannow

Vista will scan for and replace missing corrupt windows files, can take sometime to complete.

northumbria61 16:03 14 Jul 2011

I agree with Fruit Bat on Registry boosters/cleaners - that's why I didn't recommend one and especially Uniblue as it has had a lot of negative reviews on here.

I suggested the defrag as this is something a lot of people forget to do unless you have a program specially designed for this purpose ie: Diskeeper or O & O Defrag which run automatically in the"background"

It appears that although you initially saw some improvement there may be other problems and I am hoping that a "repair of Vista" as suggested by Fruit Bat solves things for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?