Boot Virus Windows 98?

jls 16:44 03 Jul 2003

I have a computer running Windows 98SE (legal version that I own) I booted up the computer today and the message says ILLEGAL MICROSOFT LICENCE DETECTED YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF THE MILLENIUM COPYRIGHT ACT YOUR UNAUTHORISED LICENCE HAS BEEN REVOKED FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT click here. I contacted them and they inform me that my computer has a virus. I am unable to reload windows and all the contents of my hard disk appear to have been wiped. Is this a boot virus and what can I do to remedy the situation and hopefully save the contents of my hard disk?

Gaz 25 16:52 03 Jul 2003

First buy a copy of Norton Anti-viurs 2003, load it in, and use the DOS boot scanner.

You need to boot from the disc, detailed information is on the below website...

click here

click here

Diemmess 18:09 03 Jul 2003

Horrifying story which I shall follow until it is resolved.............Gaz 25 must be right, it is no use looking for inaccessible data until the virus is cleared.

When it is clear, it might be worth looking via good oldfashioned DOS to see what really is available before going into a damaged Windows system, particularly if there is some re-installation to be done.

Gaz 25 19:12 03 Jul 2003

Norton should be able to repair the damage, and remove the virus leaving your files safe for you to back-up using DOS, you then could go for a reinstall.

When you have reinstalled install Norton Antivirus and a Firewall, you may be best with Nortomn Internet Security2003

DieSse 23:16 03 Jul 2003

Boot up with your start up diskette, into DOS. Make sure the write protection tab is open on the diskette, so you can't infect it from the hard drive.

At the A:> prompt type

fdisk /mbr

note the format exactly as above.

This will rewrite the master boot record on the hard drive, and may clear the virus out in doing so.

jls 19:26 06 Jul 2003

Sorry for the delay in replying to Gaz 25, Diemmess and DieSse. The outcome of my situation was that when I spoke to a helpful assistant at PC World regarding Norton Antivirus he advised me that I should buy a new hard disk. However, determined not to be beaten I felt that if I could re partition my existing disk that had been wiped by the virus I would be on to a winner - and that's exactly what I did. Thanks to you all for your advice!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone