Boot from USB hard drive

BrianSouthall1 23:07 03 Dec 2006

I have just purchased a new PC and in order to keep all my info have put the old Hard drive into an external case and attached it to the new PC using a USB port. All my previously installed programs and personal files are on this external drive. Is there any way to run programs such as Microsoft Office from this USB hard disk rather than having to re install them on the new C: drive or to boot the computer from the USB drive in order that these progarms are accessible? If not, how do I un-install the programs from the USD drive to free up storage space? Both my new and old PC's run Windows XP service pack 2.

mgmcc 07:32 04 Dec 2006

<<< Is there any way to run programs such as Microsoft Office from this USB hard disk rather than having to re install them on the new C: >>>

As things stand, 'No' because your new "C" drive with Windows in doesn't have the registry entries relating to the programs in the external drive. You would have to reinstall the programs, although you could then specify the external drive for the Program Files folder.

<<< If not, how do I un-install the programs from the USB drive to free up storage space? >>>

Delete the sub-folders in the Programs Folder. You will probably want to delete the Windows folder too because you cannot boot your original installation in the new hardware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?