Boot up like a turtle wading through peanut butter

imnotadoctor 12:57 30 Jun 2009

On sunday I bought a Compaq cq60-313 laptop from my local Staples, and when I set it up that evening everything worked fine, and boot up was normal. However, after transferring data from my external hard drive, boot up became extremely slow. There was still at least 50% free on the laptop hard drive, and the external hard drive was unplugged after transfer. Also, I went to msconfig and made sure both processors were used to boot up, unchecked any boot up programs I didn't need, and afterwards I defragged the whole system. I even got rid of all the hp bloatware. After all this, I timed the boot up. From pressing the on button to the desktop took 13 minutes. However, once the laptop booted up, it ran fine. I'm really disappointed as I had a really good deal for the spec. My previous laptop was a lot worse spec, and had a lot more data on it, and boot up was 2 minutes max. Does anyone know what the problem might be, before I take it back to the shop?

T I M B O 13:35 30 Jun 2009

There could be a couple of reasons that spring to mind. You could have imported a virus maybe, so maybe a scan would be in order>>click here Be sure to scan lap top without internet connection. There is another little trick, it's called a page de-frag from microsoft>>click here And if that fails you could de-frag your lap top. Also may i ask what anti-virus software are you using??

OTT_Buzzard 13:47 30 Jun 2009

Disabling start-up items in msconfig is a good start, however you may also need to check what processes are starting in Services. Particularly check for any processes that relate to hardware / software that you have installed on the laptop.

If possible without causing issues, disable any Services that have resulted from your installations one by one and reboot.
From personal experience slow boots on new computers are generally caused by hardware issues. So, say for example you have installed Printer software on the laptop that may be a good place to start. No guarantees though!!

imnotadoctor 13:54 30 Jun 2009

I thought of the possibility of a virus, but I am running norton 360 and it has not thus far picked up any problems. Otherwise thanks for the suggestions, I will try them all.

kidsis 19:46 30 Jun 2009

you could also try looking in event viewer to see if anything is picked up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?