boot up time 5 mins - win me

jstaunton 17:30 29 Aug 2003

i have just read a thread that states boot up time 24sec. i am putting up with 5 mins. system is 4 years old compaq presario5471 running (walking) win me. it frequently freezes and sometimes i can drink a cup of tea while it thinks.
i am always doing surface scans and defrags via bootup disk (it seems to find things wrong all the time, files truncated,) it automatically fixes , i defrag and then do it all again 2 weeks later.
should i scrap the whole thing and buy a new one.
i run a small business from home on machine.
help me please
what is bootvis?

leo49 17:50 29 Aug 2003

Have you ever done a fresh install since you had the machine? If not, sounds like it wouldn't be a bad idea.Believe bootvis is an MS tool for faster startup for XP.

Regards

Djohn 17:51 29 Aug 2003

What is the size/speed of your CPU, [Processor], and how much memory do you have? It may just need a format and clean install of programs. This will take it back to, "as new condition" and may be fast enough for your needs. j.

jstaunton 18:21 29 Aug 2003

500 megahert - 32 k primary and 128 secondary , does that make sense - 2.69gb free.
is that right its all double to me. i do have a format disk, but i have so much work on here i'm not sure how to copy everything

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017