Boot Up Problems

Bigdai100 11:34 08 Jan 2009

Yesterday I swapped around a couple of my fully functioning cards at the back of my PC (trying to get WMC to recognise my TV card). I had initially powered down my system from the Windows Shut Down option and I had disconnected the power cable, and as I plugged it back in, after reconnecting everything else, I was surprised to see ethernet lights start up. Anyway, I attempted to restart the machine and I don't get far.
The fans start and some of the lights come on but that is it. There is no HDD noise, no monitor picture (though the monitor does register a signal), it does not look like it is loading the BIOS. I have tried to boot from a couple of different recovery disks (the DVD draw is powered) but it does not load or even appear to attempt to read the DVD. I have checked that the cards are properly bedded and the connection on the HDD and the video card, but it is all pretty lifeless.

Have I fried something and is it terminal?

System Configeration
Dimension 9200 Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.13GHz, 1066MHz)
Memory Dual Channel 4GB (4x1024) 533MHz DDR2
Hard Drive 500 GB Serial ATA (7200 Rpm)
Graphic Card 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 PRO
Windows Vista SP1

johndrew 11:48 08 Jan 2009

I suggest you unplug the PC from the mains and open it up again. Look for any physical damage - signs of burning etc.

If all looks well, put everything back as it was and check all connections to motherboard, drives and cards.

With the side panel off and making certain nothing is inside the case, power up the PC and see what happens.

If it works, fine. You can post with details of what you are trying to achieve. If not advise what happens.

Bigdai100 14:27 08 Jan 2009

Thanks, I did all of that as part of my initial investigation, no burning smell no obvious physical damage

johndrew 16:25 08 Jan 2009

Sorry, but it looks as if something has failed.

Bigdai100 16:27 08 Jan 2009

My thoughts are is it the PSU (cheap) or the motherboard(fatal)?

johndrew 10:26 09 Jan 2009

A further thought.

Remove all the boards from the PC and disconnect all drives leaving only the motherboard to take power. Ensure nothing other than essential peripherals (screen, mouse & keyboard) are connected externally. Start up and see if you can get into BIOS that way.

If the BIOS can be obtained, try connecting the drives one by one starting with your boot drive. Make certain to power down before connecting each drive.

If all the drives are fine replace the boards one by one until you fail to get a start.

Bigdai100 10:31 09 Jan 2009

I tried something similar last night, including taking the mobo battery out. BIOS told me of a critically low mobo batttery, before booting into the Vista log-on screen. The second boot with two DIMM back in place was less successful, but I am fingers crossed that replacing the battery will be successful.
Thanks for you help and I will let you know how it goes.

Bigdai100 10:29 12 Jan 2009

Thanks for all your help. I changed the mobo battery and everything works fine

johndrew 18:51 12 Jan 2009

Well that is a new one for me. I wonder if any others here have ever come across a backup battery being low preventing boot up. Be good for discussion anyway!!

Glad all is well now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?