Boot up problems

D'abo 19:25 27 Apr 2005

I am operating a PC on Windows ME with an AMD Athlon 850mghz. Every time I switch on via power button, computer attempts to start with hard drive light flashing and CD-Rom light flashing. Unfortunately screen remains blank with the indicator light on the monitor flashing its amber LED which normally indicates it's not in operation. To boot up successfully, I then have to press the Reset button within a couple of seconds of the power boot up button. When this is successful, the green on LED of the monitor comes on. Very occasionally even this does not work and then it is accompanied by beeps from the computer. They are two short beeps and one long beep. If anyone can throw some light on this aggravating problem, I would be most obliged.
D'abo.

woodchip 19:34 27 Apr 2005

you have a graphics problem, may need a new card

Cuddles 19:39 27 Apr 2005

Two short beeps mean that one of the hardware tests has failed.
One long beep on its own means all tests were ok.
Have a look here click here

Jak_1 21:13 27 Apr 2005

Almost certainly sounds like a graphics problem. First off check your monitor connection as a loose conection can cause problems. If you have a graphics card then check it is firmly in place by removing it and then putting it back into position.

If all that frails to cure the problem then a new graphics card may be the order of the day. A good AGP card is cheap enough these days with the bonus of extra RAM. A card with DDR RAM will work well even if your system runs on SDRAM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017