Boot up problem with my Acer.. Please help

Ethan1982 15:58 24 Nov 2009

I’ve got Acer Aspire 7720 which I bought 8 months ago and running on Vista Home Premium.

It has developed a fault (!!) that when I turn it on, it never does first time around. When I press the power button, the power light turns on, fan starts and that’s it. The screen remains blank, the HDD indicator light remain off and nothing happens until I do a manual hardware shutdown by pressing and holding power button for 5 seconds. I wasn’t worried about it so much as this was an occasional thing since almost the beginning but I am a bit worried now as this is a regular routine and sometimes it does it 2 to 3 times before finally making its mind up.

I called TechGuys at the PCWorld support and they asked me to hold the power button for 20 seconds without any power leads connected to reset the hardware. They told me that if the problem persist , it may be a software problem and I have to do a factory restore to see if it goes away OR it can be a hardware fault. I don’t believe on whatever they said as this is a software problem as everything I mentioned occurs even before the manufacturer’s logo appears and system asks to press F2 to go to BIOS.

Is there anything wrong with BIOS? I read somewhere that this can be a sloppy HDD. Is it right?

The fact that in few months time my 12 months warranty will expire is making me more worried. PCWorld has a great reputation of turning their back on anything goes wrong as soon as the warranty expires.

Any help on recognising / correcting the fault is much appreciated.
Thanks.

User-1229748 16:09 24 Nov 2009

did this start happening after installing sp2?

User-1229748 16:20 24 Nov 2009

you could go into bios to set it to default,also i would run a mem test and a hard disk test.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:44 24 Nov 2009

Sounds as if BIOS is not detecting HDD to boot from.

If BIOS is freezing then you are in trouble (known fault on some Acers). You need "skidzy" for this as he has had and cured same problem.

It may just be bad connections to the HDD try a remove and refit to remake the connections (not sure if you can clean the connections whilst disconnected).

It could also be the hard drive failing, back up every thing ASAP. Run a chkdsk on the drive from inside windows and or download the drive manufacturer's own diagnostic program.

Ethan1982 15:00 25 Nov 2009

"did this start happening after installing sp2?"

No, I think its happening even before insatlling SP2.

smackheadz

Can you please briefly describle how to run those test? thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\
This is what exactly someone else told me as well. "I may have problem with my BIOS or HDD". I have backed up everything important now. I will try reconnecting the HDD and cleaning the connectors - if I can.
I am fairly new to the forum and never contected anyone directly.. How can I get in touch with "skidzy"? Is there anything I can do to check anything in BIOS?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:19 25 Nov 2009

skidzy's thread on Non booting Acer

and another
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:20 25 Nov 2009

click here skidzy's thread on Non booting Acer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone