Boot problem

onza40 16:59 16 Feb 2008

After finding a way to access my vista "windows\system32" folder without booting vista (very hard from xp so I'm using the command prompt on the vista dvd boot). One of the core windows files was damaged by a recent update which means it no longer boots but trys to install an update then reboot each time I load it. The problem was not winload.exe.mui which I have replaced with a friend's copy of the file (a friend who does not have this problem).
Any ideas which file/files is/are at fault and if anyone knows which it is could you send me a link to them.
Much appreciated.

skidzy 17:12 16 Feb 2008
  BurrWalnut 17:13 16 Feb 2008

As you can’t boot run the System File Checker from the DVD. This can repair many corrupted system files. It will also identify in the log file any corrupted files it could not repair click here

And/or run a Vista startup repair. This can repair more than just startup problems click here

skidzy 17:13 16 Feb 2008

If the os is preinstalled,you should have the repair option via safemode.Tapping F8 on startup.

onza40 18:03 16 Feb 2008

There are no reported boot problems, yet it still fails to boot. I'll try that in the command prompt from the dvd boot BurrWalnut.

onza40 10:07 02 Mar 2008

I found a fix on the internet now that microsoft have recognised the issue, thanks for the help guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?