Boot Problem

Sorted 09:36 01 Jan 2008

I have a secondhand notebook loaded with XP pro. It appears to have developed a registry problem and wont boot into the operating system. I have tried to boot to safe mode etc but nothing works. I do not have the original XP disc or a recovery disc. Is it possible to instigate a repair with another XP disc or would I have to competely reinstall a new system?

birdface 09:41 01 Jan 2008

Providing that you have a COA sticker on the laptop with the Keycode on it you could borrow another XP Disc to use.Recovery disc I am not sure about.

birdface 09:43 01 Jan 2008

Or maybe be able to do a repair instead of a re-format.

birdface 09:46 01 Jan 2008

Sorry ,Probably still half asleep.Obviously if you can borrow an XP Disc and do a repair.It will not matter if you have a COA sticker on the Laptop.This will only be needed if doing a reformat.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:11 01 Jan 2008

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?