boot problem

hector710 11:32 22 Apr 2007

After installing more memory, which PC World said would work,(512 mb in slot 0, 256 in slot 1) when I ask Windows XP to restart, I get the following:
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.
If I turn off, and start again, I have no problem, windows xp loads.
Any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:40 22 Apr 2007

As drives get older, they can take longer to get up to speed and become ready (available). This can then exceed the time it takes for the booting to look for the drive - so it doesn't find it.
The solution is often to make the initial part of the boot take longer, by disabling "Quick power on self test and/or making the system look for the floppy drive first by enabling "floppy seek".
Some BIOS even have a facility to put in a delay before the hard disk is checked.

Gongoozler 11:41 22 Apr 2007

The message is saying that the BIOS can't find a drive with Windows on it. This is unlikely to be a result of fitting the new memory unless you dislodged the hard drive cable, but then you would be unable to boot into Windows at the second attempt. In BIOS disable "Quick Power On Self Test" or whatever is the equivalent for your computer. This will slow down boot-up and allow the hard drive more time to get up to speed. If this works, you may soon be needing a new hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?