Boot Partition On New Advent Laptop

Jake_027 19:32 11 Sep 2009

Hi all,

I'm just in the process of setting up a new laptop for a family member to use, and am looking at the partitions on the laptop which are puzzling me a bit. Currently it has:

Namelss, 9.28 GB, EISA Configuration (this is the recovery partition

Vista (C) 141.60 GB (Healthy, Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partion)

Data (F) 80.54 GB Healthy, Logical Drive

System (S) 1.46 GB (Healthy, System, Active Primary Partition)

Now if I try to get rid of S to merge it with D, it won't let me, giving me the message "Windows cannot delete the active system partition on this disk"

But the active system partition to me is C as this is where the vista files are all stored as on a normal installation. I know I can right click and select "Mark partition as active" on the Vista (c) drive but I've read this could cause the system to be unable to boot into windows. However there is nothing shown as being on (S) in windows explorer and it says 1.41 of 1.46 GB free so whatever is on there isn't very big. If I do mark C as the active partition instead, will this cause any damage, and also, if so, can I reverse this damage using the recovery discs (DVDs) included with the laptop?

Thanks in advance

Jake

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:51 11 Sep 2009

S is where the manufacture has put the vista recovery tools and in this case the boot files as well.

this allows you to tap F8 at startup and get into the vista recovery options LEAVE THIS WELL ALONE ou will be glad of it one day when vista will not boot.

Nameless is where the image file is located to return your machine to factory status it is accessed only from the vista recovery files on S.

Jake_027 19:56 11 Sep 2009

Thanks for the information, I'll leave it as is then!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017