Boot Manager problem

Switcher 01:29 14 Jul 2007

After an abortive attemt to install Vista ultimate. During which Vista tried to upgrade my existing XP PRO instead of performing a clean install on a second drive ( which I had selected to have vista installed on ) I now have a situation that when I attempt to boot up my original disc I receive an error message that it is unable to boot due to a corrupt file and am offered an option to boot to a previous system.
Selecting this option allows me to boot to my original XP pro. How can I alter the booting process to have my PC boot straight to the XP pro. I have no desire to go near the vista CD again and attempt to repair the Vista setup.

User-1159794 07:32 14 Jul 2007

Maybe something here to help.
click here=

Sheik Yerbouti 07:33 14 Jul 2007

click here

Take a look here, see if this might help.

If it doesn't, you could boot pc from XP disk, select recovery console, select win xp os from boot list, enter password if you use one, the enter fixmbr at the promt, this should solve it. ** Back up any important data before you do the 2nd suggestion. **

Sheik Yerbouti 07:36 14 Jul 2007

Probably best to try Rapscallion's advice first.

Switcher 09:53 14 Jul 2007

Thanks for your suggestions, Rapscallion and Sheik. I have restored Boot.ini to normal however it appears that the Master boot record is directing the boot process initially to the vista bootmanager which then fails. It is only when I select the option to load a "previous" operating system that the XP boot.ini is invoked. It am presently investigtin how to restore the original MBR

Sheik Yerbouti 10:10 14 Jul 2007

Switcher, boot from xp disk, select recovery console and enter fixmbr at the prompt.

Switcher 10:15 14 Jul 2007

Thanks Sheik, now hunting for XP disc

User-1159794 10:15 14 Jul 2007

Anything here?
click here

Switcher 11:44 14 Jul 2007

Thanks Rapscallion, a great deal of interesting info re Vista uninstal there. Have solved problem using Sheik's suggestion of fixboot. Have now cloned XP disk as a backup and ready to tackle Vista again, where's my aspirin bottle ?

Switcher 11:46 14 Jul 2007

Sorry that should have been " fixed by using FIXMBR "

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?