Boot Failure Revisited

Mr. T 23:56 05 Aug 2003

This is directed at pcwhizz

You asked what the exact message was when the computer started or not, well the exact message was:
Boot Failure
Insert Boot Disk in Drive A
Press any key to continue

Any ideas?

DieSse 01:36 06 Aug 2003

"Any ideas?"

Yes - you should have posted this in your original thread, or at least given a link to it -'cos now it's not clear what you want, or where you got to before.

The message means your hard drive cannot be correctly identified as a boot disk, so the OS cannot be started, for some reason or another.

If this message appears sometimes but not others, it could be :-

Your hard drive is a bit lazy starting (often a sign of more trouble to come)

or

Read errors are occuring, which sometimes are gotten over by rereading, but sometimes not.

or

There is another intermittent fault that interferes wih the drive reading process - RAM, motherboard, cables, etc.

temp003 03:18 06 Aug 2003

click here for the previous thread and what Mr. T has tried.

DieSse 08:22 06 Aug 2003

Have you tried all the things that have been suggested so far - with what reasults please.

It's not clear from you two posts, whether this happens every single time, or just sometimes, can you confirm please.

If just sometimes, can you identify what are the different circumstances when/if it does work please.

Mr. T 23:00 06 Aug 2003

You are right, I'm sorry. I should have included a clue to what I was talking about.

The problem occurrs every time the computer starts. My friend gets a black screen and the message and that is it.
Because of work I could not get to her house until tomorrow, when I'm going to try Fdisk and system restore. If they don't work then I going to take the hard drive out, attach it to my machine, copy all her important files and reformat the drive and do a clean install of windows, unless you know something different.

Mr. T 20:16 07 Aug 2003

A follow up, I took the hard disk out, attach it to my machine, but it will not recognise it, not as a slave, dual slave or stand alone.

Verdict please!!

Also on my friend's machine I could not access the bios or anything else for that matter.

DieSse 20:55 07 Aug 2003

The test you did on your system ties up with your friends system being unable to recognise it as as boot disk.

Now - Does the BIOS detect the drive at all at start up? On either system?

Did you try the Fdisk /mbr suggestion?

It looks like the drive is simply kaput at this stage. What make is it - can you download and try the manufacturers diagnostic tests on it please.

DieSse 20:55 07 Aug 2003

The test you did on your system ties up with your friends system being unable to recognise it as as boot disk.

Now - Does the BIOS detect the drive at all at start up? On either system?

Did you try the Fdisk /mbr suggestion?

It looks like the drive is simply kaput at this stage. What make is it - can you download and try the manufacturers diagnostic tests on it please.

Mr. T 00:43 08 Aug 2003

The Bios on my machine did not regognise the drive.
I could not do the Fdisk/mbr because the floppy that she has is not a start up disk, it's a disk given to her by Tiny for system restore only and not as a diagonastic tool. I did try it and it did not work.
The drive is a Fujitsu, no idea the size of it, and really if the Bios does not regognise the drive, then how am I supposed to do giagonastic test on it?

DieSse 01:10 08 Aug 2003

You can't - it's failed.

seedie 11:03 08 Aug 2003

You could try one of these. "200 ways to recover a hard disk" click here

CD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Software for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?