Boot Failure with Hard drive D removed

greenkeen 15:30 10 Aug 2004

My computer is running Win XP. I am looking to copy the C drive onto a new larger drive using Drive image. When I remove the existing D drive on bootup it gets as far as identifying ide drives and hangs. When operating normally with D drive in place and going into my computer to reformat D windows says it is in use and will not reformat.
Any help appreciated.

Lee Gibbons 15:43 10 Aug 2004

Check the system hasn't already nominated that drive letter for a removable media drive like CD/DVD drive. You should probably nominate e: for your new drive to avoid clashes.

greenkeen 16:30 10 Aug 2004

D drive is already allocated as a hard drive designation and I am just switching a new one for an old one. I have drive letters upto H allocated with G as rewriter and H as DVD drive.
Any further help please.

GORAL 21:14 10 Aug 2004

My recommendation would be to connect your newer large hard drive on your Secondary IDE cable, temporarily disconnecting the re-writer and DVD drives. Connect it as "Master". Obviously check that the drives are 'Autodetected' and Save & Exit the BIOS.

cga 21:29 10 Aug 2004

I agree entirely with what GORAL says about the method of copying to the new hard drive but that does not solve your basic problem - why is the removal of the D drive causing the boot to fail.

Depending on the reason you may be OK when going to the larger disk or maybe not.

Do you only have 1 (D:) partition on your secondary IDE drive?

Do you have any paging on this drive?

What do you use your D: drive for? Data?

Have you changed My Documents to point there?

These are just things I can think of that may have some impact on your problem.

pipedream 21:48 10 Aug 2004

If you've got C: & D: on same IDE cable, are they configured via links on the drives as Master & Slave? This usually works fine, but I've seen something similar & fixed it by configuring both for Cable Select (CS).

woodchip 21:55 10 Aug 2004

I suggest you shut the computer down then remove the drive or ribbon cable from D:\ restart computer and go strait into BIOS auto detect the drives and it should boot to windows

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?