Boot up failure

Alf58 12:39 24 Aug 2007

I switched on this morning but was most concerned when my computer failed to boot up properly. The the Bios was displayed as usual followed by The Win XP splash screen and the moving dots. After this there is normally a short interval of gray screen before the mouse cursor appears and then the log in screen appears.

This morning when the gray screen appeared it stayed gray and there was no mouse cursor. After waiting a good five minutes I switched off and rebooted. After being asked if I wanted to start Windows normally all booted up ok. I am concerned this could be an early sign of a fault in the hardware.

Yesterday there was a Windows update: could this have caused it? I also had to download and install a piece of software from Microsoft that allows my version of Microsoft Excel to work with the latest edition.

Tech details: Pentium 4 2.8Mhz 1248Gig of ram
Graphics Radion X1300. Win XP Professional SP2.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:23 24 Aug 2007

I am concerned this could be an early sign of a fault in the hardware.

more likely a corrupt windows file.
Do a repair

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Andy1991 13:33 24 Aug 2007

you might want to do a checkdisk scan as well

Alf58 13:37 24 Aug 2007

Thanks for the reply. I will give this a go if it occurs again. I restarted a few minutes ago and there was no problem.

It is reassuring that you believe it is unlikely to be a hardware issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache