Boot up error urgent help needed!!!

c4rmo 16:12 27 Feb 2006

just booted up my pc and received the following error Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I have tried booting into safe mode and last known working configuration and neither worked. I have over 100gb on my c:\ and alot of work related files and need to access these urgently.

I was thinking of doing a repair installation via the windows xp pro cd but i dont know if it will work / i will lose my data

can any 1 help me ?

VoG II 16:18 27 Feb 2006
  Marsh Warden © ™ 16:21 27 Feb 2006
  c4rmo 16:22 27 Feb 2006

ive actually tried that

i press r and it takes me to a black dos recovery screen it asks for which installation u would like to access i press 1 and enter and then nothing happens i have left it for like 30 mins

also i have always had system restore off

i thought u can run the xp repair and it scans all the system files and replaces them ? from the xp cd

VoG II 16:25 27 Feb 2006

Repair click here but I'm not sure it will fix this issue.

Recovery Console click here

c4rmo 16:34 27 Feb 2006

thanks ill try the repair first to see if that works if not ill have to try the recovery console.

Problem is tho when i get to this screen

click here

i press 1 and then enter and it just hangs and it does not ask for my admin password

gudgulf 16:36 27 Feb 2006

The problem with a repair install in this situation is that it only replaces the core Windows system files and not the machine configuration and settings...which is where your problem lies.

A full reformat and reinstall is the first thing to try.....this might fully resolve the problem.

However there is a chance that it is a hardware issue causing the problem,in which case it could happen again.

read through this thread click here for plenty of potential solutions/causes (be warned it's a very long thread)

c4rmo 16:41 27 Feb 2006

formatting is not rreally a option. I need to get into windows so i can bakup all my data then i will reformat

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:48 27 Feb 2006

Are your drives formatted in FAT32 or NTFS? and do you have a floppy drive?

If FAT32 then boot with a windows ME or 98 boot disk
htp://click here

At the A:\ prompt

type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system fault

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

Note This procedure assumes that Windows XP is installed to the C:\Windows folder. Make sure to change C:\Windows to the appropriate windows_folder if it is a different location.

One the files are copied remove the floppy then ctrl+alt+del to restart the PC.

If NTFS then downloa NTFS reader from click here

and copy the system file from c:\windows\repair\ to c:\windows system32\config\

c4rmo 16:53 27 Feb 2006

yeh my drive is formatted in ntfs

gudgulf 16:56 27 Feb 2006

Can you remove the hard drive and put it into another pc?

You will be able to access and retrieve all your data easily by doing that.

Otherwise try some of the fixes in the link I gave you......one of them might just get you back into windows (unless some hardware has failed).

I've had the same error myself (bad memory stick in my case) and it took me ages to get it sorted.

After wasting a lot of time trying the fixes I reinstalled.....only to find the same error cropping up after a reboot.

If you do get into Windows,don't switch off or reboot the pc until you have recovered all the data you want to keep.

Good luck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?