Boot error - Help!

Throbber 21:59 26 Feb 2009

My PC has started hanging fairly frequently. Tonight it hung again, and would not re-satrt. I got the error message :
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file."

Can I do this without a complete re-install of Windows?

Running Windows XP Pro, SP3.

Any advice welcome, though I would prefer not to have to re-install Windows. I have OS Disk.

skidzy 22:13 26 Feb 2009
  CalmCookie 22:55 26 Feb 2009

My personal experience of this fault is that it indicates that the Hard drive is about to fail or has failed. If you manage to start your PC and get Windows to launch by using the Microsoft fix as suggested, then replace the hard drive as soon as possible once you have backed up all your personal files.

PSF 23:56 26 Feb 2009

I had the same problem on a pc, it had different messages and would not always start.
the hard drive then packed up after a few days. Check and see if S.M.A.R.T,(Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology)
for the hard drive is switched on. This will report any imminent failures.
The manufacturer might have a diagnostic tool you can download and test the drive to see if it about to fail. click here for the Western Digital site.

Throbber 18:18 27 Feb 2009

Am giving CHKDSK a go, but it sounds as if the hard drive may well be on the way out. Fortunately I did a recent backup to external HD.
If CHKDSK doesn't fix it, I'll try a re-install. Thanks for your help. Will let you know how it all pans out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?