Boot-up error

amonra 20:39 18 Sep 2008

I have just been given an Acer T180 desktop running XP and it works OK except for the fact that it will ONLY boot-up with a bog standard ball mouse connected to PS2 socket.
If I plug in a USB mouse once it has booted up, it works fine, but refuses to boot up again from restart. I have GOT to plug in the ball mouse to start. I've gone into the BIOS but cannot for the life of me see any relevant settings to alter. Please someone, point me in the right direction ! Thanks in advance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:30 18 Sep 2008

USB legacy for DOS

is the setting you need to change.

amonra 19:55 19 Sep 2008

Thanks for the reply FruitBat, but still cant see any ref to USB legacy for DOS.
Can you expand further please ???

woodchip 19:58 19 Sep 2008

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ try USB legacy enabled and disabled, You need to save the settings before you exit BIOS, to get into BIOS try tapping Del key as its starting

woodchip 19:59 19 Sep 2008

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ try USB legacy enabled and disabled, You need to save the settings before you exit BIOS, to get into BIOS try tapping Del key as its starting

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:04 19 Sep 2008
  amonra 13:50 20 Sep 2008

Thank you both for replies, USB K/B and Mouse are "enabled" in the BIOS, but it still wont boot with anything other than a ball-mouse plugged in.(or nothing at all) Weird, I cant see anything else to play with.
Any more suggestions please ???
I have a big hammer .........

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:31 20 Sep 2008

In BIOS disable anything that looks like USB as first boot device.
Set first boot device as CD drive second as Hard drive and disable all others.

retry

if still no good then

Reset BIOS completely by either using the clear jumper setting on the motherboard or by removing the cmos battery for 10 minutes.

then retry booting with USB keyboard and mouse.

amonra 16:09 20 Sep 2008

FruitBat
Followed 1st lot of instructions religiously, no change. Just about to take the cover off the side when 12 year old neighbour comes in and asks what am I doing, explain, and he says "Why dont you use a USB to PS2 adaptor in the back ?"
Simple, works like a charm.
Clever little b***er knows everything !!!!
Anyway, thanks for your persistence and patience, will tick as resolved.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:14 20 Sep 2008

"Out of the mouths of babe...."

:0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?