Boot up/display problems

ribble_raider 20:46 26 Mar 2008

Hi, hope someone can help.

My new(ish) desktop will boot up and display ok up to the point when the Vista Welcome screen should appear but the monitor then reports 'no signal' and powers down. I can re-boot up in safe mode and have tried the 'last good known configuration' tool with no joy. Have also uninstalled the draphic card drivers and installed the latest version but to no avail - original problem remains.

Customer Support are taking me down the route of reinstalling Windows as they seem to think that there is no problem with the graphics card (nVidia GeForce 8800GT)itself, which puzzles me a little.

Any sugestions on where the problem might lie?

Thanks

DieSse 21:28 26 Mar 2008

"....they seem to think that there is no problem with the graphics card (nVidia GeForce 8800GT)itself, which puzzles me a little."

They could be correct. It's certainly possible to have a graphics card which works in basic VGA mode (as during booting), but won't run at the higher resolutions after the OS loads. Safe mode, of course, also works in basic VGA mode.

I had one that failed in exactly this way, about a year ago.

woodchip 21:35 26 Mar 2008

Check CPU and Graphics card fans have not stopped or slowed down

ribble_raider 21:38 26 Mar 2008

DieSse

That's what I was thinking.

How did you work out that your graphics card was the problem?

ribble_raider 21:43 26 Mar 2008

Woodchip.

Fans all working ok.

Also HDD sounds as fine, no unexpected bleeps on boot up etc.

ribble_raider 20:15 27 Mar 2008

Thanks to those who reponded. Anyone else got any ideas please?

DieSse 22:44 27 Mar 2008

"How did you work out that your graphics card was the problem?"

Looking at the exact symptoms, and reasoning the likely cause.

Then putting in an alternative graphics card - which worked fine.

Then double-checking by putting the faulty card into another system - where it displayed the same problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?