Boot Disk for windows XP

sheila.weston 11:32 25 Mar 2007

Is it possible to make a boot Disk for my windows XP Mesh computer?

I have the Mesh Recovery disk which came with the PC, but someone told me that I should not use that, if the computer had problems, because it could delete all my files.

rawprawn 11:34 25 Mar 2007
  rawprawn 11:36 25 Mar 2007
  skidzy 11:49 25 Mar 2007

Possibly using the recovery disc will delete all files as this will reset the system to factory settings,however not always,you may be given 3 options..such as

Total restore (factory settings)
Repair windows ( non-destructive)
Repair and save... something along those lines.

You may be best to try and see if you have these options on the harddrive and hidden partition.Try tapping F11 on startup and see if it exists.

Alternatively use Rawprawns links to create the boot disks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:54 25 Mar 2007

It takes just one floppy disc,

First format a Floppy disc

Run type
Format A: /u

Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader]
timeout=-1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Save as

in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find

NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Add these to the floppy disc

you can now try starting your computer with the floppy disc

sheila.weston 13:28 25 Mar 2007

I think I am a bit out of my depth with yours, Fruitbat, but rawprawn's 'computerhope' site looks promising. I'll press f11 when I next startup to test skidzy's suggestion.

One related question - can someone confirm that I can test the startup disk by inserting it in the relevant drive and restarting the pc WITHOUT affecting any settings already on the computer.

Thanks for your help.

sheila.weston 18:08 01 Apr 2007

Fruitbat, I have now come back to this thread and have done as you suggest. If I try restarting the computer with the floppy in the a:\ drive, there shouldn't be any permanent changes made to the pc, should there? It will either start up or NOT start up, yes? When I restart without the floppy in, things should revert to the normal start up, Yes?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:04 01 Apr 2007

It will not make any changes it will just search for the windows folder on your hard drives.

It is not a "full" XP boot as that takes 6 disks from click here, but it will boot the PC if the NTLDR file is corrupt or missing (a common problem) or C: drives root becomes unreadable for any reason.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?