Boot disk needed (?)

riceuten 12:27 28 Jul 2008

Go easy on me - a relative newbie here!

Rather stupidly, I obeyed an instruction from an obsolete piece of Virus scanning software to delete a particular file that appears to be vital for the functioning of my laptop. It's an Amilo M 7400 Centrino 1.4 combo running Windows XP Home Edition.

When it boots up, I get to the splash screen, but then come to a screen telling me that the computer did not shut down properly, and asking me if I want to do a "safe start", "safe start with networking", or a "normal start". Hitting any of these options brings me (eventually) back to this screen. I have a kind of Linux boot disk, which starts the computer but thereafter, I'm clueless, so I assume that there are no physical problems with the computer, and that what I have actually done is to delete something vital for XP to start up.

I am wondering if what I need is a boot disk, that would allow me to either repair this installation, and how I would go about getting one. I have also searched high and low for the recovery disk and cannot locate it. Could I source either of these from the people who sold me the laptop a couple of years ago ? The recovery disk is of course the nuclear option, but may be my only choice.

Any help at all would be gratefully received.

Ditch999 12:36 28 Jul 2008

If you can borrow a friends XP cd (it must be the same OS as yours eg XP Home SP2) you can use it to perform a repair of XP click here but you will need an XP cd anyway to try to fix this if you cannot even boot up.

pj123 12:37 28 Jul 2008

Have you tried "Last known good configuration"?

Boot your computer and keep hitting the F8 key until you get a menu.

One of the items on the menu is Last known good configuration.

Give it a try.

riceuten 12:41 28 Jul 2008

....sadly this does not work. I think because I turned off the option to make a copy of the c drive. It just returns me to the same screen. Thanks anyway.

Ditch999, the laptop was shipped with XP SP1, will this make a difference? I downloaded SP2 a while ago, though. Thanks for the link as well.

Ditch999 12:42 28 Jul 2008

You will need an XP CD with SP2 on it then.
Carry out the Repair if/when you get it.

Ditch999 12:44 28 Jul 2008

A Recovery Disc will format the hard drive and reinstall the OS the way it was when you bought it. All your data (if it was on the C: drive) will be lost.

riceuten 12:48 28 Jul 2008

I had assumed that's what one did. I've been advised to get hold of a Windows XP Home Edition OEM CD, though where I can get hold of one now is somewhat of a mystery.

Thanks

BBW 12:54 28 Jul 2008

If you can get an XP Home disc. Allow it to boot up from the CDROM drive, from there it is possible to carry out a repair of windows without losss of files and configurations!

BBW 12:55 28 Jul 2008

It might be time to go down to the local computer repair man!

riceuten 13:07 28 Jul 2008

Indeed it may - I was hoping to avoid that cost if possible ;-)

Ditch999 13:08 28 Jul 2008

Borrow a CD!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?