Boot from CD- is there a shortcut?

SparkyJack 09:02 24 Oct 2013

There are occasions when this is needed-

The only way I know is to change the BIOS settings. One of my flock needs odo ths- soI wondered is there shortcut- that does not require fiddling the j BIOS?

onthelimit1 09:33 24 Oct 2013

Some computers display a Boot Order option alongside the Setup one when the computer is first turned on. If this isn't present on your lamb's computer, then it has to be done through the bios.

jimforrest 12:53 24 Oct 2013

My Bios is permanently set to boot from a CD - so long as there isn't a bootable CD in the drive it just ignores it. Should I change it?

northumbria61 13:01 24 Oct 2013

jimforrest - If it is set like that then no need to change it Jim.

Jollyjohn 13:16 24 Oct 2013

As PC boots up try tapping F10 or F12. On my PC F12 gives a boot menu where you can select what to boot from, CD, HDD, USB etc. It is not a permanent change.

woodchip 15:23 24 Oct 2013

F10 F12 could be a disaster if its a HP, I could be wrong on the F12 I think its F11 that takes you to a Restore Screen. F10 goes to BIOS

bumpkin 15:45 24 Oct 2013

a bit of info on bios keys for various machines click here

SparkyJack 16:24 24 Oct 2013

Woody is right qith F keys

Some brans use these to reset the mance or other data loosing functions

Best to know the machine.

Some others put up a boot selector in POST

Iguess the the answer is po0ke it and see- but if it is one of my 'flocks' machines I do tread with caution if it is something new to me.

T0SH 18:50 24 Oct 2013

Try switching on the PC with a bootable CD/DVD in the drive then keep tapping the spacebar about once a second until it boots up

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?