Boot from cd rom first??

Nonagon 21:45 22 Oct 2006

I’ve been asked to set my machine to boot from cd-rom first

THE BIOS looks something like this:

User Admin Info
Config Security Power

There are different screens beneath this depending on which option you choose.

I have the cd (windows 2000) –how do I proceed from here?

VoG II 21:47 22 Oct 2006
  Ashrich 21:51 22 Oct 2006

Probably under " config " look for boot options . Select , depending how it is written , Boot from CD Rom , you may have to select it from a box that will open on the right or you might have to use the up and down arrow keys to move it to the top of the pile . Exit from the bios ( esc. then F10 commonly ) then it will reboot with the CD first .

Ashley

Nonagon 22:30 22 Oct 2006

I have tried this now the machine unable to boot from
media 1 cd rom
media 2 hard drive
media 3 not specified
the system is halted

funnily it could read the win 2k disk previously which caused a problem with acpi.sys

am i getting close to recycling centre time?

ed-0 22:52 22 Oct 2006

looks like the bios has lost it's automatic detection settings for the IDE devices or the IDE cables have become loose in the machine.

Do you know the make and model of the motherboard?

woodchip 22:55 22 Oct 2006

Have you been into BIOS???? not windows. to enter you have to press ether a key or key's. Try the Del key as the computer boots, arrows keys let you move up down and side to side, enter key will open a page, Escape key will close a page. Look for Boot Order page. Save before exit

woodchip 23:00 22 Oct 2006

Sorry see you found settings, As ed-0 above. looks like faulty ribbon cable or plugs worked lose. That may be the only Fault

Mike@#36 09:34 23 Oct 2006

Just a thought but my BIOS identifies a difference between CDROM and DVDRAM drives.

Found this out when I tried to repair windows some time ago - because the BIOS was set to boot from CDROM it just went straight to the hard drive (being next in line). It was only when I scrolled down the list of options for first boot device that I found the alternative - as I have a DVDRAM instead of a CDROM it made sense, but I had just assumed it would see the DVDRAM as any CDROM - wrong!

So if you have something that is more than a CDROM drive check the list of options to see if there is something more relavent, and select that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone