booster for wireless connection?

mothercranky 12:04 28 Oct 2006

Hi all
I have an acer travelmate 3004 with a wireless connection that i have never had any trouble with until now. I have changed my service to sky, and my partner and son have both bought laptops to share the connection.
however, it seems when myself and my partner attempt to get online at the same time, his will connect and stay on, mine connects for a couple of minutes, then continuously times out, although my connection tab thing at the bottom of the screen tells me i have a connection. i refresh it and attempt to reconnect, but nothing.
i was told by sky that they could easily support 3 pc's, but it seems mine is the one that cant compete!

is there a gadget i can buy or install that will boost my connecting ability?

sean-278262 14:39 28 Oct 2006

Have you installed anything new that may have changed things. Consider absolutely anything you have installed as it could be that. If you can back up your laptop and then reboot XP that often for me cures 99% of the problems. However I am sure there are other things you can try before hand. Also a reboot tends to make things run a bit faster.

Thinking about it post typing have you gone on acer.co.uk and downloaded the latest drivers for your computer?

dms05 15:43 28 Oct 2006

You should be able to connect and stay connected with your Acer. We have a desktop, a Dell Laptop an Acer Laptop and a Toshoba Laptop all connecting concurrently by WiFi.

I'd check all your settings and make sure you have the identical WiFi parameters set as those on the laptop that does connect.

It's possible you were using less than ideal settings that worked when you were the sole user.

Deleting your existing WiFi connection settings and starting again might be a good idea - then see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?