boost wifi signal help

silentbob219 19:38 01 Oct 2010

hi please help

i currently have a netgear DG834GT wireless router provided by my isp SKY.
i tried geting a new router but i have found out that you cannot use any other router than the one supplied by sky.
the signal is ok but now i am using a laptop and wireless xbox 360 for gaming, and down one floor and one rom away the signal can be awfull.

please can someone help. i aint very technically minded and so was wondering was the best thing to do or to buy.

i have heard of booster arials and wireless access points but i really dont now what to get and what to do with them. please can someone recommend whai can use and do!! thanks in advance

:)

mgmcc 20:13 01 Oct 2010

It might be worth looking at "Homeplug" networking via the mains electrical wiring. Connect a Homeplug to your router by ethernet cable and then plug in a second one in the remote location; this could be a second 'wired' one or a 'wireless' one to give you wireless networking from the Laptop. click here

silentbob219 09:22 02 Oct 2010

I allready have a pair if homeplugs but what should I wire the second plug too? Should I get a wireless access point and wire that in the room away from the router? Would that work? Could you recommend a product to buy ?

mgmcc 08:43 03 Oct 2010

If there is a "wireless" homeplug of the same make as your existing ones, you could use that. It is effectively a homeplug with built-in wireless access point.

Otherwise, plug a stand-alone Wireless Access Point such as click here into your second homeplug.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017