On-Board Multicard Reader Failure

Antz 00:02 23 Feb 2005

I recently installed an onboard multi-card reader to my P.c. It also contains an extra usb 2.o slot and is connected to to the motherboard headers via two individual connections, one for the usb port and the second for the card reader.Everything was working fine but for some unknown reason the card reader has stopped working,the usb port is still active. On booth up the card reader L.E.D lights up for a few seconds( indicating that it is not completely dead and connections are O.K) but then goes out again. All the previous icons under 'My Computer are gone.There is no indication in Device Manager that there is a problem and there are no other hardware problems.Without anything to indicate what is wrong I am at a loss as to how I should resolve this.The only recent change made to my software configuration is the installation of 'Desktop sidebar'. I can't see how this would create such a problem though...............Any suggestions ?????

P4 3.0GHz
1GB Ram
160 GB HDD
40 GB HDD
Creative 7.1 24bit PCI soundcard
nVidia Geforce 5500 Graphics 256 Ram
XP Home SP2 pre-installed
( Fujitsu Siemens scaleo P )

woodchip 00:14 23 Feb 2005

do you load drivers for the reader if not try loading if you have the cd

woodchip 00:16 23 Feb 2005

Check Device Manager for yellow icons

woodchip 00:17 23 Feb 2005

Sorry did not read fully. If you see the reader in Device Manager remove it and restart your computer so the comp resets it

Antz 00:26 23 Feb 2005

I'll try that...although it is not clear under device manager which item represents my reader as there appears to be a listing for each individual component i.e each slot represents an individual listing and I can't decide what to remove....trial and error I suppose

curlylad 02:28 23 Feb 2005

In device manager presuming it is a X4 multi card reader then the listings will be for each of the four seperate slots under 'Disk Drives'

IN-WIN CF Card USB Device = CF/MD slot

IN-WIN MS Card USB Device = memory stick slot

IN-WIN SD Card USB Device = SD/MMC slot

IN-WIN SM Card USB Device = smart media slot

Right click each of these in turn , click properties then make sure under "Device status" it says "This device is working properly" and under "Device usage" it says "Use this device(enable)" If there is a problem at this point then I would click the Driver tab and click update driver button.

woodchip 09:48 23 Feb 2005

I would remove one at a time and try it

Antz 19:38 23 Feb 2005

Thanks...I have managed to get the reader working again but the nuisance is now interfering with boot-up.Four individual error box pop up telling me that each Hard-drive( referring to a card in each slot) is missing and do I want to retry or continue with start-up?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?