On-board Graphics

Mastermind 14:27 14 Jul 2003

I thought I'd chosen a motherboard for my next build, an Asus A7N8X. I was going to add to this an Abit GeForce FX5200.

However, someone suggested that I save money and get a card with on-board graphics, such as the Abit NF7-M.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated since this is an option I hadn't considered.

The Transporter 14:42 14 Jul 2003

especially when using high demanding games. I would get a seperate g.card and i would get an Abit NF7 - S board instead. Cheaper and is more tweakable.

click here

Onboard graphics are never as good and can cause irq conflicts if alot of hardware is installed

:-)

duplo 15:01 14 Jul 2003

Onboard Graphics are also not nearly as fast deicated cards, the Nforce2 comes with an MX series GF4... essentially a tweaked GF2 I believe... A separate card will be faster and if something goes wrong easy to replace.

SEASHANTY 15:12 14 Jul 2003

Onboard graphics are a useful addition to the motherboard. Even if disabled they are a valuable aid to fault finding (e.g. eliminating the monitor) should your main graphics card develop a fault. Regard O/B graphics as a bonus. You can always disable them and use one of these very expensive AGP cards. I would rather read the paper than play games on a PC so I don't need a fast card anyway.

clayton 16:34 14 Jul 2003

Personally i would never purchase a motherboard with onboard graphics, the board you have chosen is a very good one stick with it, if you dont play games save on the graphics card.

Mastermind 16:37 14 Jul 2003

Okay, I'll stick with the A7N8X and Abit GeForce FX5200.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?