on board graphics

fitcher 21:28 23 Jul 2005

I am toying with the idea of building a cheap spare computer for linux only ..and I have noticed a lot of motherboards now with on board graphics ,what are your views on these ,are they any good ?,(some have agp slots that could be used when my wallets a bit thicker ).are they capable of playing a film say ,and ..which are the best ones .

LastChip 22:19 23 Jul 2005

They are not at all bad now, BUT, most will use part of your memory and some of your CPU capacity.

All will be of lower quality than even a low end AGP card, but usable non-the-less.

If you're looking at using the on board graphics with Linux, do some research on the motherboard you're considering and try and find out if the hardware is compatible. Almost certainly, the motherboard itself will be, but the graphics chip may or may not. If I were you, to be on the safe side, I would get a motherboard that has an AGP slot, because if all else fails, you can pick up a cheap graphics card that will work with Linux. Keep in mind, Linux will run beautifully on a relatively low specified machine, so you need not spend a fortune.

Most major distro's have hardware compatibility lists that may help, though sometimes these are not right up to date.

woodchip 22:39 23 Jul 2005

They are OK for basic work station. like this would make a good starting point click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone