BNC connections

crease 22:57 13 Jul 2003

does anyone know how to network using a hub rj45 connectors and also using a BNC. what protocols should i use? and can it be done? im sure i can. is there a guide that anyone knows about?

any helps greatly recived.

chris.

p.s.

sorry for the *[email protected]:e spelling, i just cant be arsed.

jazzypop 23:03 13 Jul 2003

Which version of Windows?

How many PCs?

jazzypop 18:24 14 Jul 2003

Received by email -

"there are 2 computers one using win 2k and the other 98. any ideas?"

As a general point, it is more helpful to you if you reply using the message box at the bottom of the screen, rather than by using the email envelope icon. That way, everyone can see the progress of the thread, and contribute as they see fit.

If you are only going to connect 2 PCs, there is no real advantage in using a hub - you can just connect them directly. If both network cards (1 in each PC) have RJ45 connectors, just use a length of Ethernet cable, wired as a Crossover cable, to connect them to each other.

You could connect each one to the hub instead, but that would require 2 cables (1 from each PC), and would not actually give any real benefits.

I am not too sure where the BNC connector comes into it - does one of the network cards have a BNC connector only? If so, it is likely to be an older card, which fits in an ISA slot on the PC (as opposed to the faster PCI slots). This is likely to mean that the card can only operate at 10Mb/s (megabits per second). Modern network cards typically operate at 100Mb/s, but automatically slow down to 10Mb/s if they detect that there is a 10Mb/s card (or hub) in the network.

If you do have an older card, I strongly urge you to consider replacing it. New PCI 100Mb/s cards cost between £10-15.

For a simple guide to setting up each PC, see click here - feel free to ask again (via this same thread) if you have any specific problems, or if I have misunderstood your situation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires