Blurred photographs

johndrew 17:19 13 Sep 2008

If I`m posting this in the wrong place, I applogise.

Having bought my scanner and scanned in a number of photos from 35mm slides, I find some are blurred - this is not the fault of the scanner or of the slide position on the bed, the picture in the slide is blurred. Others are very faded and are probably beyond recovery, but these I am ignoring certainly for now.

I have searched around and tried a number of photo editing programs, but can find nothing that helps sharpen up a photo. It could be there is nothing, but if there is it would help greatly if someone could point me in its direction. I should add that my lack of expertise in editing pictures means that any technique would need to be either automatic, simple or explained in easy steps to me.

Hope someone can help, I know there are some who spend hours working on their photo collections.

Thanks in anticipation.

john bunyan 17:42 13 Sep 2008

Photoshop CS3 ( very expensive) has "unsharp mask" and sharpen features - I think Photoshop elements and other software have sililar features. However they can only go so far and I doubt they can make a "silk purse out of a sow's ear" ! Maybe a more experienced photo guy such as hssutton will comment.

hssutton 18:43 13 Sep 2008

I think that sums it up nicely John. Ok you can improve an unsharp image, but there's not a lot you can do with a blurred image

eedcam 18:54 13 Sep 2008

Any editor with Unsharpmask might improve slightly but as said thats not a particularly skilled tool for that job regardless whether in elements or any of the top photoshop software .You could try and do it manually by selecting the important parts of the Photo and tweaking them Say the eyes or hands etc thus drawing attention away from the blurring .You could post the image on say phot bucket or the likes and see what the guys think of your chances

jtt 22:43 13 Sep 2008

If the contrast is low, turning up the contrast can make them look less blurred.

johndrew 12:55 14 Sep 2008

Thanks for responding everyone.

You have confirmed what I thought. Some of the pictures have responded to Gimp`s sharpen mask a little, but basically its a case of the person behind the camera or the auto focus concentrating on the background and leaving the foreground out of focus. You can guess where the subject is!!!!

I`ll try the contrast trick but hold out little hope.

Many thanks again. Even though it was a confirmation of my belief, it`s no bad thing to know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017