Bluetooth security

Pudsa 20:08 20 Oct 2014

Hi, last week I found the Bluetooth on my tablet had been switched on, I don't use it and have been reading that it's a big security headache. I'm concerned that something has been added to my device. Also what could be copied? How much access could someone have without me being aware? Any advice is much appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:42 20 Oct 2014

Anyone else used your tablet?

if no the possibly switched on by an updating app

if no one in close proximity to your tablet and knowing your tablets bluetooth identy then the likely hood of anything being added or copied is extremely low.

Pudsa 20:57 20 Oct 2014

yes a hotel receptionist inputted their wifi code.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:58 20 Oct 2014

I still wouldn't worry too much

Do have a security app such as AVG or Avast on your tablet.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:59 20 Oct 2014

I still wouldn't worry too much

Do have a security app such as AVG or Avast on your tablet.

Pudsa 22:34 20 Oct 2014

No, I'll look out for one. Thanks for the tip. Would it have been possible to add files or gain remote control over the device. I'm still wondering if this needs sorting out? What's the worst case scenario?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:29 21 Oct 2014

how long did the receptionist have the tablet and were you there while the code was insert should only have taken a minute or two?

Avast Mobile can be got from Google Play store for free.

worst case scenario is you use the tablet for online banking hand they have all your bank details and passwords (unlikely)

Bluetooth will not have been set up as you don't use it so no one could access the tablet via bluetooth even if switched on.

Pudsa 14:51 22 Oct 2014

Thanks so much for your advice, ii really appreciate it. Just as an experiment: i just turned on Bluetooth on my tablet and turned on my phone's bluetooth and I've managed to pair my phone to my pad....I have never set up bluetooth on either. The pad won't connect to the phone though. Is this normal???

Pudsa 15:15 22 Oct 2014

I'm attached to my pad via my phone. Does this mean in theory anything on my iPad could've been downloaded? I have done banking online and I'll start there.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:28 22 Oct 2014

Bluetooth is very slow and unless you know the identity of the device to pair to it will not connect.

You can only move one file at a time with blue tooth. Bluetooth is better for connecting wireless speakers or keyboards etc.

If really worried change the passwords on your bank and othe sites like facebook etc. and keep an eye on your bank statements.

I still believe there is probably nothing to worry about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?