Bluetooth headset won't work with computer

Parsley 20:39 05 Dec 2008

My son has bought a Sony Ericsson bluetooth HBH-PV703 headset (over ear mobile phone type) and wants to connect it to his computer. He has installed a blueSoleil bluetooth dongle and software on the computer. The computer and headset are paired and the headset shows up in the sounds options for voice and recording in control panel, but no amount of changing the options seems to enable any sounds or the mike in the headset! (the headset is not muted!)
I suppose the 1st question should be is this type of headset compatible with a computer? and 2) does anyone have any suggestions to help him get it working? He wants to use in mainly for playing WOW online. Thanks in advance.

Technotiger 20:45 05 Dec 2008

I would say it is probably not PC compatible, and certainly not really appropriate for the intended use. Bluetooth is rather unstable in any case. A normal PC headset (headphones/mic combined) would IMHO be far better for the job.

Technotiger 20:48 05 Dec 2008

Or, better still, a Wireless Headset ... click here

Parsley 20:52 05 Dec 2008

Technotiger
Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling this would probably be the case when he bought it but the assistant in the shop said it would be ok! I can't find anything on the SE site to help either nor on several other sites I've tried! I'm going to try it on the PS3 for him and if I get the same problems, it's going back to the shop for a refund!

Technotiger 21:17 05 Dec 2008

I reckon the assistant just wanted to make a sale!

Parsley 21:40 05 Dec 2008

Just as a final note it does work on the PS3! Mind you as its a sony ericsson product, it should! Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?