Bluetooth Dongles - again

pcdopey 10:26 18 May 2010

I have set up my desktop (WinXP; SP3) with a Bluetooth dongle and, amazingly, it flashes away and even communicates ok with my phone. However, I have annoying 'double-monitor' icon at the bottom right of my screen which says "LAN Bluetooth. A network cable is unplugged."
How do I get rid of this icon?

Taff™ 11:54 19 May 2010

Right click the offending icon and select Network Connections. The left click the Bluetooth icon and select properties. The bottom two boxes for Show in System tray & Notify when.... should be left blank.

gengiscant 11:58 19 May 2010

Right Click on "Start" Menu
Click "Properties" Tab
Click "Taskbar" Tab
Click "Hide inactive icons" if not Checked
Click on "Customize" Button
Click the Notification item you want to change under Current Items
Select "Always Hide" behaviour under the Behavior column
Click "Ok" and then click "Apply".

Or

Go to 'Start>Control Panel>Network Connections'>Right click 'Local Area Connection>Properties'. Untick both 'Show notification when connected' and 'Limited or no Connection'

pcdopey 14:27 19 May 2010

Thanks for that, folks.

I did as you said and unckecked the two boxes (I hadn't noticed theses options before) but, believe it or not, the icon was still there! I then 'disabled' the LAN and this worked (yet I am still able to send photos, etc, to my PC via the supposedly disabled bluetooth LAN).

Next up is "Windows Messenger - not signed in". Never used it - don't want it cluttering up my screen, plus several others.

Taff™ 10:14 20 May 2010

Download and install CCleaner click here On install accept all the defaults except the last screen and untick the option for the Yahoo search bar. (Unless you really need another one!)

Look for the tools option (Blue Spanner)and the "Start Up" option which will list everything that loads on boot up. You will find Messenger there and simply disable it. There will be loads of other stuff too such as ITunes Helper, Quicktime, Registration reminders, bluetooth programs et al.

Disabling them at start up doesn`t mean you can`t click on their desktop or program menu item to get them working when you need them. Boot up times will improve dramatically as a result.

You can of course re-enable these start up items as you wish. Just remember that the essential antivirus program needs to be identified and left enabled. The rule of thumb here is to disable the obvious non essential start up programs, Google the others to find out what they are and then decide for yourself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache