Bluescreen - IRQL not less than,,,, on startup

IB123 17:26 04 Apr 2009

Hi, my laptop has now decided to start playing up. On startup I now get this bluescreen which is displayed for about 2 secs which I think has the line "IRQL not less than..." but I haven't been able to see the rest of the screen before it continues booting up. I then ususally get a screen saying windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this. In safe mode, I have restored to a previous clean state, looked in device manager - couldn't see anything there, couldn't see any other indication of what might be causing this. Even changed the RAM back to the original boards from the middle of last year, all to no avail.
From this and other forums, I then looked at the cpu fan. I can't see on the BIOS screens anything about fan speed or CPU temp etc although from reading online it appears I should be able to.
I've currently taken the cover off the back where the fan is, and with the laptop on, it's not turning - should it ? I know that sounds a daft question but it's not one of these things where the fan won't work if the cover is off, is it.
Would the fan not working cause some of these symptons?

Any suggestions to help will be greatly appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:33 04 Apr 2009

If CPU fan not turning at all I would suspect the machine would switch off within seconds and not just give you an error message.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
click here

is usually a driver problem

IB123 17:59 04 Apr 2009

thanks Fruit Bat, I ruled out the first three suggestions on your link as I don't have Mcafee, NT and Service Pack 3 has been fine for several months now. I've re-installed the wireless network adapter and although it's connecting wirelessly to my router I can't start Firefox or IE. What are the SCSI drivers? And as I haven't installed any hardware on it recently is there anything else on the front?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:42 04 Apr 2009

SCSI drivers?

forget them old fashioned nowadays, I bet you don't have any scsi drives.

In safe mode uninstall drivers one at a time starting with graphics drivers reboot and see if it will start then reinstall the drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?