Blue screen when trying to install xp

howard64 19:20 09 Dec 2010

I have been asked to install xp on a dell dccy small desktop pc with 1 GB ram. It has had its hard disk wiped to protect the company it came from. With the xp disk in the drive in appears to be installing windows but reaches a point when the blue screen appears with the stop message - stopped to protect pc. The internal dell diagnostics gives it a clean bill of health. The drive is a Western sata 80GB. Can anyone suggest a way forward? Thanks in advance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:27 09 Dec 2010

what is the stop code?

Ashrich 23:18 09 Dec 2010

Does it stop at the same point every time or is it random ?

Ashley

howard64 07:04 10 Dec 2010

it stops at the same point I think and I will note the stop message in its entirety when I try again.

Batch 08:34 10 Dec 2010

If the hard disk is SATA (and the disk type is set in the BIOS to SATA) and the XP disk you are using is SP2 or earlier it could be that it wants SATA drivers that aren't on the CD.

If the above is true, quick solution is to change the BIOS HDD setting to IDE. It should then load OK. Alternative is to locate relevant SATA drivers and slipstream these (along with your SP2 CD) into a new XP CD (or just get your hands on an SP3 CD in thefirst place) using nLite.

howard64 08:41 10 Dec 2010

thanks Batch but it is a slipstreamed sp3 disk that I am using and the drive is recognised in the bios as sata there are no ide connectors on the mobo. I wonder if I will have to download the Western disk setup iso to reset the drive?

howard64 10:22 10 Dec 2010

I have used my windows 7 disk and the pc is now running so thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?