blue screen saying one of my discs needs checking

mac75 13:31 10 Aug 2013
Answered

my PC shows the blue screen everytime i start it up.anyone know how to stop it doing so.i'm running win xp sp3.

thank you,
                               jim.
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:38 10 Aug 2013

HAve you let it run the disk check?

If yes and it still pops up then see:

Check Disk Prevent Upon Boot (Line 294) click here if the volume dirty bit is set, eachtime Windows XP starts, autochk.exe is called by the kernel to scan all volumes. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume. It is usually caused by a hard shut down or a power loss during a read-write operation on that particular drive.

First click Start> Run> and bring up a command prompt by typing in "CMD" and then type "fsutil dirty query d:" but without the quotes. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type "CHKNTFS /X D:". The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing "Chkdsk /f /r d:". This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type "fsutil dirty query d:" and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive. Good luck!

or

mac75 13:51 10 Aug 2013

thanks for the reply fruitbat. i did let the check run a few times, just in case it didn't scan right. i'll try your suggestion and i'll get back to you.

jim.
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:07 10 Aug 2013

My above post didn't come out too well.

click here scroll down to line 294

download and run the script see if that works first.

If not then follow the instructions above fro "First click Start > Run..."

mac75 14:44 10 Aug 2013
Answer

hi fruitbat, i tried both methods but none worked, thanks for the suggestions anyway.i'll just have to put up with the blue screen for now. PC still works ok. i'll close this post now.

jim.
  mac75 22:58 11 Aug 2013

just to update this post, i fixed the problem by running chkdsk manually.

jim.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?